Saturday, October 13, 2012

BLOCK NO. 7 - ALICE'S FLAG

There was no Blockbase pattern for this one.  So I made the block in a number of steps.

 

MAKING THE STAR


I saved a photo of Block 7 from Grandmother's Choice blog to my pictures .

From there I copied the image to EQ7.  This gave me the correct size for the star.
Once I had the image, I created the star in applique.

I printed templates on freezer paper and from there cut out my five pieces from five different scraps. (I'm using my scraps so took a color for each point from the small pieces scrap pile. )

I hand pieced the star.

 

 MAKING THE BACKGROUND


 I  used easy draw with a 6 inch block to make the exact proportions for the strips.  I printed a template for the strip in an 8 inch block on heavy paper - construction weight.  This was my no measure way of making it exact.
Adding a half inch to the template as I cut, I cut the strips from 3 different neutrals and machine pieced.   I now had a block that was 8 and 1/2 inches.

APPLIQUE THE STAR

Using my centering ruler, I centered the hand pieced star and appliqued it to the background.


 
  I loved making this block.  I love to use EQ7.  I love to hand piece.  I love to applique.  I love to use up my bitty scraps.  What fun!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments.