Sunday, April 14, 2013

BLOCK NO. 33 - CONTRARY HUSBAND

BLOCK NO. 33:  CONTRARY HUSBAND

WE ARE NOW ON BLOCK 33.  JUST 16 MORE?  

Well, I thought we were doing 50.  Then it's 17 more. 

 

This block is called Contrary Husband.  It was published in the Kansas City Star in 1938.

 

Somehow the description read in Grandmother's Choice - Votes for Women doesn't quite fit contrary.  More like criminal.  Contrary is when they won't take out the garbage or help with the dishes.  Beatings are a whole 'nother category.

 

I paper pieced this block's parts and then hand pieced the parts together.  I have continued to use up my scraps. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree with criminal. But are there such blocks already designed? I found no block called Criminal. GC articles made the point that such activities brought shame on the woman! - hardly likely to be memorialized in a quilt. Though who knows what secrets a quilt really holds.....
    I found the following blocks: Blurred Vision, Beggers block, Broken Heart, and Broken Dishes. Bet there are more that carry a secret message.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your comments.