Saturday, May 11, 2013

Block No. 36 - Sunbonnet Baby - Testament of Youth

No. 36.  Sunbonnet Baby - Testament of Youth

Block 36 was appliqued from my scraps of fabric.  To prepare this block, I imported the image to my EQ7, then traced the lines in using Easy Draw.  I reversed and printed the drawing and photocopied it.  The photo copy was then  ironed on to the front of my background.  This gave me the image to applique the pieces down.  The pieces were printed on the back of freezer paper.  The pieces were cut and  ironed on to the fabricAll simple.  I love Sunbonnet Sue.  Some have aprons, hands, and different feet.   They are pictured doing all manner of household chores or fun activities.  This Grandmother's Choice block is simple and oh so cute. I discovered Sunbonnet Sue in my first years of applique.  So much can and has been done with this block. 

To Quote the Grandmother's Choice Blog: "Bertha Corbett Melcher is credited as a creator of the Sunbonnet designs.  She illustrated children's Primer books in the early 1900s.  Her book, "The Sunbonnet Babies" was published in 1900.  In this book she depicted girls with their faces hidden by their bonnets.  This early book has been reprinted on fabric. "

1 comment:

  1. My spouse and I stumbled over here from a different web address and thought I
    might as well check things out. I like what I see so now i am following
    you. Look forward to going over your web page yet again.


    Also visit my homepage food news article

    ReplyDelete

Would love to hear your comments.