Monday, May 27, 2013

Block No. 38: NONSENSE - ANATOMY LESSONS

BLOCK NO. 38:  NONSENSE-ANATOMY LESSONS

This block was paper pieced.  I like this method for the accuracy it gives me.  The colors are from my stash.  Really old, from the late 90's I think.  I was buying night sky fabric for an appliqued Christmas Quilt - I love Christmas.  These are the bits of leftover's that I could never part with.  

 

 

This block is called Nonsense or Boys Nonsense and was featured by the Ladies Art Company over a century ago.  

Any little thing the "boys" could come up with to keep women in the place of inferiority they did.  Women should not ride horses or bikes astride - not good for their anatomy.  Women shouldn't spend hours at the sewing machine.  (Yes, ok - go for it guys.) And you know it still exists...just look around.  Not as flagrant, but it's there.  I'd love to hear what you all experience in this nonsense. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Would love to hear your comments.